Thursday, March 8, 2012

Artist Review

1) Describe the film.


The film was about a prominent silent movie actor who became irrelevant once "talkies" came out. He had fallen in love with one of the extras in his movie, but when talkies became popular, so did she. Now he was the underdog and she was the star, and that hurt his pride. In the end they work it out and perform dancing duets together.
2) How is the story driven?  By the characters or plot?



The story is driven by both equally I think. The plot just shows how important the advent of talkies really was, but you end up falling in love with the main character. He is humbled greatly by the end of the movie, and the love story is adorable.
3) Talk about the cinematography.  How was the use of lighting, acting, camera angles scene development used to help enhance the film?



I loved that it was a silent movie. And I absolutely love how it was black and white. It made it classic. The acting was great. I usually rely on dialogue a lot when I watch movies, but the silence forced me to pay attention to the facial expressions. The shots were really varied, but they had to focus on the face a lot, since there was no sound.
4) What was you favorite scene from the film?  Why? Describe the scene as well as how it was shot.



My favorite scene was when the main character was about to shoot himself, and then "bang" comes up on the screen, but then it turns out it was just a crash and he's alive. I had been crying and I was very relieved.
5) What is the experience of watching a silent film like? How does it relate to watching a "talkie"?



I payed much more attention to the music and facial expressions. 

6) Would you encourage others to view the film?  Why or why not?

I definitely would. One of my favorites of the year. First time I cried during a movie in a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment