Wednesday, January 25, 2012

First Class Post

Heathers is my absolute favorite High School movie. Although I like my fair share of 80s high school flicks (e.g. Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, St. Elmo's Fire... I just like the Brat Pack what can I say), Heathers is in a strange way more realistic for me. It's something about the way the characters interact with each other. It's so disturbing and so real. And like they said, the only place that so many social types can live together in peace is in heaven. There could be no truer statement in my point of view.

American Beauty is definitely one of my favorites. If anything it's tied with Heathers. I love that at the end all these people wanted to kill the dad. It's like a sick puppet show playing with fate (Being John Malkovich reference inserted here). Chances are he would have died even if the wife hadn't shot him. I loved the character Ricky. He was so creepy and perfect, truthfully a lot like the lead male character in Heathers (maybe I have a type? Billie the kid types..) Anyways I love the darkness of this movie. The interactions with the kids and their families. My favorite is the scenes with the dad's fantasies of the teenage girl... and then you find out that she's just a scared virgin.

Lost and Delirious is one of my favorite same sex love stories (that and Little Ashes of course, Robert Pattinson plays a mean Salvador Dali, so much so that I almost forgave him for being a sparkly vampire). It's a great Girls at Boarding School type of story. The repetition of the reference to Lady Macbeth's speech ("unsex me here...") adds a feeling of determination and strength. Also I loved what the character Paulie said to Mary. I can't remember the exact quote but it was something along the lines of, I'm not in love with a girl, I'm in love with Tori. Paulie loves Tori, we're not lesbians (I swear it was way more poetic in the movie). I cry at the end every single time (I won't spoil it just in case).

No comments:

Post a Comment